Fiona Galston is a full-stack web developer working as a Research Software Engineer within the team at Newcastle University. She has a background in Developmental Biology but graduated in Computer Network Technology. After graduating from Northumbria University she began her career in industry; working for a large technology organisation on projects in innovation, health and nuclear energy. Since joining the RSE team in 2019 she has kept a focus in web technologies but the subject matter has varied broadly, often being involved in socially or ethically impactful projects. She has also qualified as a Software Carpentries instructor and has taught several of their classes to PHD students and staff.
QuOD Pathology Atlas /2020-2021
- Database design and set-up to store donated organ data
- Development of a web-based digital portal to help organise requests and allocate organ samples to authorized researchers.
Animating Text Newcastle / School of English Literature, Language and Linguistics2019-2021
- Plan, design and develop web-based applications to display or work with text in varying forms
- Geospatial work using leafletJS to map translations of femenist literature across Europe
- UI/UX work to display stages of text creation and modification by authors
Hands on Reading / School of English Literature, Language and Linguistics2020
- Front-end development of mobile-centric web-application using Angular
- Use of HTML Canvas so users can annotate digital texts
Metro Futures / Open Lab, Nexus2020
- Front-end development work on a web-based tool to launch and review the new Tyne and Wear Metro trains
Climate:Red / Open Lab, IFRC2020
- Contribute to the user-interface for an IFRC virtual conference held in September 2020
Hate Speech Measures and Counter-measures / The Alan Turing Institute2019-2020
- Scraping of misogynistic and anti-feminist forum posts and searchable storage of this data
- Using Puppeteer and headless Chrome to crawl the website
- Linux server and MySQL database set-up on Azure
BSc Computer Network Technology / Northumbria University
Completed modules in web technologies, operating systems, network technology, C/C++, CCNA and an industrial placement working with C# and web-based systems for the NHS.
- Web Development
- Dog Training