After many years in industry as a software engineer Dr. Jannetta Steyn returned to university to study for a Masters in Bioinformatics followed by a PhD in computational neuroscience. She then joined the Bioinformatics Support Unit of Newcastle University for two and a half years after which she worked as a Senior Research Associate in the School of Computing.
In 2019 she joined the Research Software Engineering Team as a Senior Research Software Engineer. In 2020 she qualified as a Carpentries Instuctor and has since taken the lead in organising and instructing Software Carpentries workshops at the University.
Jannetta is a STEM Ambassador and enjoys taking part in outreach activities to make the public aware of the research that is being done at the university.
Carpentries Workshops / Research Software Engineering2020 - 2021
- Organising Carpentries workshops
- Instructing on workshops
WallCap / Hadrian's Wall Community Archeology Project2021
- Develop and deploy a web application to be used by volunteers for capturing data about stones that are or were part of Hadrian's wall
Learning Machines / Alan Turing Institute2019 - 2021
- Dockerising of Learning Machines environment
- Develop REST API in Java to serve data from models to a GUI
CESI / School of Engineering2019 - 2021
- Dockerising of MatLab model
- Visualisation of energy data
CEM-DIT / School of Computer Science2019
- Development of an application for capturing, visualising and manipulating provenance that can be used by decision makers for emergency management
PhD Computational Neuroscience / Newcastle University
Analysis and modelling of the PY complex in the pyloric circuit of the crab stomatogastric ganglion
- Unix Shell
- Carpentries Instructor
- Web Design
- 3D Printing
- Raspberry Pi
- Tae Kwon Do, Karate