Becky is a full stack web developer with many years of experience working in both the public and private sector. Becky was previously employed with the NHS developing a healthcare application to modernise clinical practice for the Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. She also spent several years working at Northumbria University on a range of research projects relating to educational technology.
Since joining the university in 2019, she has designed and implemented software applications for a number of research projects.
During her time in the team she has trained as a Software Carpentries instructor and takes part in the regular carpentries training sessions. She is interested in inspiring young people and women to engage and seek careers in the technology sector.
Degree Apprenticeship in Software Engineering / Newcastle University School of Computing & The Institute of Coding2021
- Module leader on CSC8425 - Business Software Applications
- Creating material for web technologies. Delivery from June onwards.
Rest & Be Thankful / School of Geography, Politics and Sociology2020-2021
- Python scripts to feed real time data to RabbitMQ
- Setting up RabbitMQ/Logstash/ElasticSearch pipeline
- created Power BI reports to visualise data from ES
STEM Outreach / School of English Literature, Language and Linguistics2021
- set up WordPress website, deployed to internally hosted VM
DAAWN / School of Education, Communication and Language Sciences2020
- Creation of Aphasia assessment tool for use by Speech and Language Therapists
- Front end application that creates online reports and downloadable PDFs
- Built with Vue.js
ePRaSE / Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals Trust2019-2021
- back-end development using Java in Springboot framework
- front-end development using Vue.js
Investigative Journalism / School of Education, Communication & Language Sciences2020
- Vue.js based application featuring VueGoogleCharts and D3js libraries
- Featured a range of different Google and D3 charts. Bubble, bar, line, link-node
Alien Speech Match / School of Education, Communication & Language Sciences2020
- MySql/PHP Laravel framework based application, with Vue.js front end
- game style application to measure user recognition of different languages
MSc Computing Science / Newcastle University
C++, concurrency, databases, networks, software engineering
- Healthcare applications
- Educational technology