Kate is a full stack web developer who originally trained in the Arts before completing an MSc in Computer Science at Newcastle University in 2018. During her time in the team she has trained as a Software Carpentries instructor and supervised Masters level dissertation students. She has also designed and delivered an entry level digital skills course for local women. Kate manages the Middleware and Data Science sub-team.
Organ Quality Assessment (OrQA) / Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, NHS Blood & Transplant2023
- Technical lead for the OrQA project that explores the potential for machine learning models to assist surgical decision making when assessing whether an organ is worth considering for transplant.
Autism Clinical Interview for Adults (ACIA) / Faculty of Medical Sciences2023
- Create interactive PDFs to support diagnostic assessments.
NUAcT Development Programme / Newcastle University Academic Track Fellowship scheme2021-2022
- Provide a suit of bespoke support to NUAcT Fellows and their staff and students including training and grant writing assistance.
Dolfin / Paediatric Neurodisability2022
- Development of a mobile phone app for Android and iOS to collect trial data and provide push notifications.
- Supporting Google Firebase setup for authentication, cloud messaging and database hosting.
Spatial Inequality and the Smart City / School of Geography2021-2022
- Produce prototypes for stakeholder engagement
- Hold stakeholder focus groups
- Design a decision support tool to aid policy makers place air quality sensors
- Visualise existing data drawn from the ONS and Urban Observatory
Animating Text Newcastle / School of English Literature, Language and Linguistics2019-2021
- Develop websites to visualise texts in different ways to act as proof of concepts to support funding bids
- Mainly responsible for developing a server and database for each pilot
- Included working with specialist digital humanities data formats and databases
English Republican Ideas and Translation Networks in Early Modern Germany / School of History, Classics and Archaeology2021
- Create website to show original and translated works against geography and time
- Develop training materials to enable the researcher to update the website themselves
Rest & Be Thankful / School of Geography, Politics and Sociology2020-2021
- Development of severless function to deliver images to permanent storage
- Create Power BI reports to visualise data
Screening Violence: experiences of conflict around the globe / School of Modern Languages2020-2021
- Develop website to allow user to browse collection of video clips by location, keyword or thumbnail.
Finline / Business School2020
- Develop proof of concept website which won first place in EU Datathon 2020 Challenge 2
- Visualise business metrics and provide advice for small amd medium sized businesses
Heritage Explorers / School of English Literature, Language and Linguistics2020
- Develop a digital recreation of a popular British history and heritage-themed educational board game from the nineteenth century
Digital Storytelling: Placing Young Men in the City of Dreams / School of Geography, Politics and Sociology, North East Young Dads and Lads, and Seven Stories2020
- Creation of a mobile friendly website built around a map-based interface and storytelling imagery
- Location based augmented reality experiences
- Run co-design sessions with stakeholders
Metro Futures / Open Lab, Nexus2020
- Contribute to front end of a community consultation tool as part of the development of a new Tyne and Wear Metro
Trust New Art / School of Arts and Cultures, National Trust2019
- Create web portal to explore ways of collecting and presenting archive material of site specific temporary artworks in heritage settings
ePRaSE / Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals Trust2019
- Develop Rest API to pass data to and from a database and handle authentication
PhD Design / Edinburgh University
Research exploring the role that craft, creativity and community play in women's lives
- Azure Functions
- GitHub Workflows
- Web Development